May…and April? Ch, cha, cha, changes!

Oh, so it’s been a month. Sorry.
Short version: I did Whole30. Felt amazing: of course. I did not do the 30 days of running. I think I lasted a little over a week? I don’t know and I don’t care. I *DID* get in the groove of working out (or movement, walking, park, etc) every day which was the purpose of the running thing. But, yeah, I should be running…

Long version: I spent a lot of time trying to unpack, separate more things to sell/donate/downsize. Try to get this rental in order and feel like home.
During free time, or while doing things around town, we’ve been exploring parts of town to see what & where we like…and don’t like.
On April 25th (less than 2 weeks ago) we saw some open houses. Apparently it was “Open House Weekend” for Colorado Springs with a huge amount of open houses. We hit it off with a realtor, fellow trail runner and backpacker. We were very upfront that we were just browsing and planned to buy next spring after really getting a feel of town for about a year. Well, we had a couple houses we wanted to see, but didn’t see the rush. He was happy to set them up for us and we saw 3 on Sunday, the 26th. Loved one of them, but left with the thought of, “that’s awesome, but we need to think about it, we didn’t want to rush.”
He called that night and said, “the house has 3 offers from this afternoon.” WHOA. WTF. We were quickly educated that the market here is INSANE and things are getting multiple offers after 1 day on the market. He advised that if we were even halfway serious, to get our financials in order and be ready to make an offer if our dream house comes on the market. (which, was no surprise as the selling season is really heating up right now to start the summer)
So, Monday 27th he sets me up with email alerts of new listings as they hit the market in our price range and desired neighborhoods & we get our financials ready with our lender. Again, being very honest that it could be a month, 6, 8, or 12 before we are ready.
Wednesday (29th) late afternoon I get an email of a house at the low end of our budget, near Garden of the Gods. Whoa. This neighborhood is almost impossible to get into. Not many houses, people don’t leave, and location, Location, LOCATION. I go drive by and think it’s promising.

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 12.38.44 PM
I call him immediately and say “we need to look at this ASAP. It will sell tomorrow.” The listing agent tells ours that we can’t see it until Friday, when the house is cleaned and cleared. Ok. Friday it is. Well, Thursday the listing agent calls ours and says, “There is serious interest, we have 5 showings Friday. If your clients want it, go today and put in an offer.” So last Thursday (30th–less than 1 week after “casually looking”) we are standing in the house (full, dirty, still with occupants…awkward) and put in an offer with a SIX HOUR limit for the sellers to accept. We knew that Friday morning they’d have more offers and we didn’t want a bidding war, nor could we really afford it. They accepted!
Found an inspector for THE NEXT DAY, Friday. I’m there with the Inspector, my Agent and K….and people are showing up for their showings. So. So. Awkward. But…schawiiiiing. Who is the winner? This gal. They were all pissed and saying things like, “oh, you’re so lucky! No one was supposed to see it until today!” Well, I don’t think “lucky” so much as “on top of things” and willing to take a huge risk of paying full ask,no concessions, on a house that needs work and is sold “as is”.

So. That was the last week and a half. In that time we’ve gotten contractor bids, finalized negotiations with the seller (even after no concessions, there were things to be worked out) and now are waiting on the lenders to do their job.

The final appraisal is tomorrow. I feel like this is the last hurdle. It could all fall apart next week when that report comes back, but I’m optimistic at his point because the sellers are VERY motivated as their closing on a new house is conditional on this one. And we are very motivated as we feel like this house is a steal…despite the work we will need to put into it.
Oh, the next house for sale in the neighborhood…listed at $110,000 MORE than ours. On a smaller lot, farther from the park. Sure, it’s almost double the size, but we wanted small + big lot. There’s no way we can afford anything else in this area.
3 trailheads, each LESS THAN a 1/4mi from the potential front door. ❤

Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 12.36.07 PM
Oh yeah, the Red Rocks Canyon trails are close too.

So, less than 1 month of living here we’re about to move again. But, it feels right. The first place I’ve wanted to buy a house in over 10 years. I’ve found home!*
At this point if it doesn’t work out, I think we’ll be pretty disappointed and will take a break from looking. Nothing will compare to the house at this location (at this price).

*Pics of the house once it’s ours.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s